Comments from Members of the Audience
SHERBECK FIELD – Several members of the Fullerton city community spoke against the proposed completion of Sherbeck Field at Fullerton College.
THANKS TO SCE – Art Montes from Centralia School District thanked Valentina Purtell, School of Continuing Education Interim Provost, and Greg Schulz, Fullerton College President, for their continued support of low income students and their recent presentation to Los Amigos.
NEGOTIATIONS – Cypress College faculty member Craig Goralski reminded the Board that increased dependent care and assessing lab/lecture rates are important to District faculty.
Interim Chancellor’s Report – Fred Williams
RETIREE RECOGNITION – The Board recognized six of the District’s most recent retirees: Akilah Courtney, Cypress College Evaluator Specialist; Nancy Deutsch, Cypress College Reading Instructor; Leslie Doak, Cypress College Geography Instructor; Ora Reese, Fullerton College Facilities Custodian I, David Wassenaar, Cypress College Dean of Business and CIS; and Mark Knoernschild, Fullerton College English Instructor.
STUDENT TRUSTEES RECOGNITION – The two students serving on the Board of Trustees during the 2015-16 academic year were recognized: Francisco Aviles Pino of Fullerton College and Tanya Washington of Cypress College.
EMPLOYEE SERVICE RECOGNITION – Employees were recognized in the following categories for years of service to the District:
25 Years of Service
• Peggy Austin, Librarian, Cypress College Library
• Ana Cota, Clerical Assistant I, Cypress College
• Lori Cronin, Health Services Administrative Assistant, Fullerton College
• Angela Cotton, Executive Assistant II, District
• Julie Felender, Psychology Instructor, Fullerton College
• Patricia Green-Pappas, Child Development Instructor, Fullerton College
• Bruce Henderson, English Instructor, Fullerton College
• Pamela Hoyt-Heydon, Theatre Arts Instructor, Fullerton College
• Deidre Hughes, Reading Instructor, Fullerton College
• Liana Koeppel, Speech Instructor, Cypress College
• Wei-Ping Kong, Foreign Language Instructor, Fullerton College
• Kathleen Kruse, Nursing Instructor, Cypress College
• Darin Lamb, Groundskeeper, Fullerton College
• Callista Lee, Psychology Instructor, Fullerton College
• Michael Lees, Courier, District
• Richard Lozinsky, Earth Sciences Instructor, Fullerton College
• Daniel Melendez, Multimedia Systems Specialist, Fullerton College
• Patricia Pelachik, CIS Instructor, Cypress College
• Brad Pickler, Physical Education Instructor, Cypress College
• Joe Reyes, EOPS Counselor, Fullerton College
• Cecilia Richie, Receptionist, Cypress College
• Ellen Rosen, ESL Instructor, Fullerton College
• Charles Schilling, Speech Instructor, Fullerton College
• Cynthia Shrout, Mathematics Instructor, Cypress College
• Ruth Sipple, Learning Disabilities Specialist, Fullerton College
• Kazuyo Takahashi, Foreign Language Instructor, Cypress College
• Tilahun Yimenu, Chemistry Instructor, Fullerton College
• Cindy Zarske, Mathematics Instructor, Fullerton College
30 Years of Service
• Joel Baca, DSS Instructional Assistant, SCE Wilshire Center
• Joseph Franks, Psychiatric Tech Instructor, Cypress College
• Marina Fuentes, Administrative Assistant I, Fullerton College
• Laura Greico, Radiologic Tech Instructor, Cypress College
• Cindy Grein, Campus Accounting Manager, Fullerton College
• Robert Johnson, Photography Instructor, Cypress College
• Lourdes Kavanaugh, Administrative Assistant III, Fullerton College
• John Kehoe, Landscape Coordinator, Fullerton College
• Michael Kessler, Systems Analyst-Applications, District
• George Kraft, Carpenter, Cypress College
• Anthony Lee, IT Technician, District
• Carol Lewis, History Instructor, Cypress College
• Peter Mathews, Political Science Instructor, Cypress College
• Masumi Oberlin, Library Assistant III, Fullerton College
• Lourdes Oropeza, Financial Aid Technician, Fullerton College
• Elaine Oropeza, Financial Aid Technician, Fullerton College
• Andres Rico-Barajas, Equipment Operator, Fullerton College
• Carol Shier, Reading Instructor, Fullerton College
35 Years of Service
• John Alexander, Automotive Tech Instructor, Cypress College
• Nellie Armendariz, ESL Instructional Assistant, SCE Wilshire Center
• Barbara Bennett, DSS Instructor, SCE Anaheim Campus
• James Dowdalls, Music Instructor, Fullerton College
• Carolee Freer, Court Reporting Instructor, Cypress College
• James Linahon, Music Instructor, Fullerton College
• Mark Majarian, Dramatic Arts Instructor, Cypress College
• Jill Myers, DSS Instructional Assistant, SCE Wilshire Center
• Stephen Plett, Mathematics Instructor, Fullerton College
• Roger See, Physical Education Instructor, Fullerton College
• Linda Shideler, Mathematics Instructor, Fullerton College
• Debra Smith, Student Services Specialist, SCE Cypress Center
• Kathleen Whalen, Dance Instructor, Fullerton College
40 Years of Service
• Sharon De Leon, Early Childhood Education Instructor, Fullerton College
• Angela Lippolt-Rios, Landscape Coordinator, Cypress College
• Robin San Roman, Instructional Aide, SCE Anaheim
45 Years of Service
• Pat Ganer, Speech Instructor, Cypress College
CERTIFICATES OF COMMENDATION – The Board presented Certificates of Commendation to Candace Lynch-Thompson, SCE ESL Instructor; Regina Rhymes, Cypress College Sociology Instructor; and Dr. Jo Wen Wu, Fullerton College Biology Instructor; for being named 2017 Orange County Department of Education Teacher of the Year nominees.
Comments from the College Presidents and Provost
Dr. Bob Simpson, Cypress College President; Dr. Greg Schulz, Fullerton College President; and Ms. Valentina Purtell, School of Continuing Education Interim Provost, reported on activities from their respective campuses.
Comments by Members of the Resource Table
DMA HAPPENINGS – District Management Association President Richard Fee announced that the group’s executive board elections are underway, and that there will be a new President next year. He also shared that DMA’s Spring Business Meeting will be held Thursday, June 2 at 8:30 a.m. at the Buena Park Holiday Inn.
CONGRATULATIONS TO JOLENA – Several Resource Table Members congratulated Jolena Grande on her “Above and Beyond” Award honor, including: Adam Gottdank, Pete Snyder, Tina Johannsen, Rod Lusch, and Kent Stevenson.
SCE NEWS – SCE Senate President Adam Gottdank updated the Board on the Adult Ed Block Grant, accreditation self-study, and SLO software. He also complimented Tina King, the new SCE Director, Institutional Research & Planning, on her expertise and hard work.
CYPRESS COLLEGE EMPLOYEE AWARDS – Cypress College Senate President and award winner Jolena Grande updated the Board on recent College awards, including: Stuart Rosenberg for Outstanding Full-time Faculty of the Year, Elaine Folayan for Outstanding Adjunct Faculty of the Year, and Carol Harvey for the Charger Award. She also announced that Brian Seiling is the incoming Cypress College Senate President.
NEW FACULTY – Fullerton College Senate President Pete Snyder gave an update on faculty hires, stating that 54 positions have been filled.
SPECIAL UF MEETING – United Faculty President Tina Johannsen announced that the group was continuing to work with the District in regards to negotiations and was holding a special meeting to facilitate the process.
CSEW EVENT – California State Employees Association President Rod Lusch reported on the recent Classified School Employee Week breakfast. Pat Sanchez, Cypress College Executive Assistant, was named the Member of the Year, and Joe Vasquez, Cypress College Facilities Custodian I, was honored with the “Going the Extra Mile” (GEM) Award.
POWER LUNCH – Adjunct Faculty United President Kent Stevenson spoke about the group’s lunch with incoming Chancellor Dr. Cheryl Marshall and Trustee Member Leonard Lahtinen. He said they were very impressed with Dr. Marshall, and congratulated the Board on their selection for Chancellor. He also said that the group has decided to endorse Mr. Lahtinen in his run for Anaheim City Council.
Comments by Members of the Board of Trustees
SECOND TERM TRUSTEE – Cypress College Student Trustee Tanya Washington announced that she has been elected to a second term as Trustee.
NEXT STEPS – Fullerton College Student Trustee Francisco Aviles Pino thanked the Board for all of their support during his year of service and said that while he’s planning on transferring to UCLA in the fall, he will still be working as a community organizer in Anaheim.
CYPRESS CENTURIONS – Trustee Stephen Blount stated that the Cypress High School Centurions baseball team has made it to the playoffs.
THE LATE DRAWINGS OF ANDY WARHOL – Board Vice President Molly McClanahan invited everyone to check out the latest Fullerton Museum exhibit featuring “The Late Drawings of Andy Warhol.”
RETIREMENT BOARD – Board Secretary Jaqueline Rodarte reported on the latest action of the NOCCCD Retirement Board.
HORNET ARTICLE – Trustee Leonard Lahtinen commended Fullerton College’s Hornet newspaper on their coverage of the Police Academy program.
CONGRATULATIONS TO JOLENA – Several Board Members also congratulated Jolena Grande on receiving the “Above and Beyond” Award. Trustee Jeff Brown commented that the award was well deserved, and that he would miss Jolena’s presence at the Board meetings next year.
STRATEGIC CONVERSATION DEBRIEF – Board President Barbara Dunsheath reported on the recent debrief meeting for Strategic Conversation #17: College Readiness.
Finance and Facilities
LEGAL SERVICES – The Board authorized a request to enter into an agreement with Devaney, Pate, Morris, & Cameron, LLP, to provide legal services for the District.
CYPRESS COLLEGE SEM BUILDING – The Board adopted a resolution to authorize the use of the Construction Management at Risk (CMAR) Project Delivery Method for the new Science, Engineering, and Mathematics (SEM) building at Cypress College.
ESTABLISHED POOL OF VENDORS – Authorization was also given to add vendors to the established pool of DSA construction inspector firms, to provide DSA inspection services for Districtwide projects.
IEPI GOALS – The Board approved the NOCCCD Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative (IEPI) Goals for 2016-17.
MID-TERM EDUCATIONAL MASTER PLAN – The Board received a draft report of the Mid-term Educational Master Plan Review and Update.
RETIREMENTS – The Board approved the retirement of Manuel Guerrero, Fullerton College Groundskeeper, effective June 4; and Helga Struckman, SCE Administrative Assistant III, effective July 5.
Next Regular Meeting
The next regular meeting of the NOCCCD Board of Trustees will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 14, in the first-floor Board Room, Anaheim Campus, 1830 W. Romneya Drive, Anaheim.
“News from the Board of Trustees” is produced by the NOCCCD Public Affairs Office
as a summary of Board actions and reports.
It is not intended as a replacement of the official minutes of Board meetings.