Voting to decide whether or not the North Orange County Community College District will adopt the Merit System for its classified employees will take place on July 18, 2019. Below please find the times and locations of the voting centers and instructions for casting a ballot.
||Thursday, July 18, 2019
||8:00 to 10:00 a.m.; 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.; 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Anaheim Campus: Room 100 B (first floor, by Board room)
Cypress College: Cypress College Art Gallery, Fine Arts 112
Fullerton College: Room 227 (second floor, College Center)
How to Vote:
- All classified personnel are eligible to vote: CSEA members, classified confidential employees, classified managers, supervisors, and administrators
- For security and efficiency reasons, employees must vote at their primary work location. (If you work at Cypress College, for example, you must vote at the Cypress College polling station. If you work at the AEBG Office, your polling station will be Anaheim Campus and if you work at the Wilshire Center, your polling station will be Fullerton College.) If there is a question about your primary work location, please contact Human Resources at extension 84810.
- Voters must produce a form of photo identification (employee ID, driver's license, government issued ID card, passport, etc.). Polling personnel at each location will have a list of eligible employees for that specific location. If you do not have a photo ID, contact Human Resources at extension 84810 to arrange for an employee identification card.
- Eligible voters will be handed a ballot with one question printed on it: "Shall the merit (civil service) system for classified employees be applicable in the North Orange County Community College District?" Yes or No
- A vote of "Yes" signifies that our District SHOULD institute a Merit System/Personnel Commission.
- A vote of "No" signifies that our District SHOULD NOT institute a Merit System/Personnel Commission.
- The voting process is completely secret. NO ONE WILL KNOW HOW YOU VOTE. Physical barriers will be in place for voters to mark their ballot. When finished, voters will fold their ballot in half and place it into the ballot box.
- Extra security measures are being taken to ensure your ballots are completely secret and valid. Please comply with all directions from polling station monitors.
- Employees will be provided release time to vote.
- Election participation is the choice of the employee only.
- No employee will be subject to any form of coercion or pressure to participate in the election or to vote in a particular manner.
- On voting day, no one will be allowed to solicit votes within 100 feet of the polling place.
- Any concerns about violation to these rights should be reported immediately to the Chancellor.
Tabulation of Votes:
- Three pre-designated people will serve as the Tabulation Committee to officially count ballots.
- Ballots will be counted on Friday, July 19, 2019 at the Anaheim Campus, Room 105 beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding when all votes are counted.
- The entire tabulation process is open for all employees to view.
- If at least two members of the Tabulation Committee sign a document certifying the results of the vote, the results are deemed certified.
- In order for the merit system to be established, a simple majority (50% plus 1) of the classified employees casting ballots must vote in favor of the merit system.
Results of Vote:
- Certified results will be presented to the NOCCCD Board of Trustees at their meeting on Tuesday, July 23, 2019.
- The Board of Trustees will then take action to accept the results and inform the public of those results.
If you have any questions about this process, please reach out to the Chancellor's Office, Human Resources or CSEA.