Avoid your chances of becoming a victim. Criminals often look for easy targets. It is up to you to reduce their window of opportunity by following these tips.
- Do not assume you are safe because you are on campus.
- When you arrive on campus, remember to secure your vehicle and remove your keys.
- Always keep your personal belongings within arm’s reach.
- While walking on campus, have at least one hand free and avoid isolated areas. Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, paying attention to the people near and around you. Always walk with confidence and at a steady pace.
- Have a plan of action in your mind should a stranger approach you. Pay attention to your intuition, if you think a situation is unsafe, it may very well be.
When Leaving Campus:
- Use the buddy system: walk with other classmate(s), or call Campus Safety for an escort.
- Check your vehicle before entering. If you believe someone is following you, call 911, honk your horn, drive to a police station or other public place.