Comments from Members of the Audience
GIFTS OF APPRECIATION – Outgoing Fullerton College Student Trustee Stephen Tith and incoming Fullerton College Student Trustee Francisco Aviles-Pino presented President Rajen Vurdien with a gift of appreciation for all of his student support. Fullerton Faculty Senate President Sam Foster and Danielle Fouquette also awarded Dr. Vurdien with the College’s “Administrator of the Year” award for all of his contributions.
Interim Chancellor’s Report – Fred Williams
RETIREE RECOGNITION – The Board recognized seven of the District’s most recent retirees: Barbara Caro, Fullerton College Admissions and Records Technician; Susan Hauge, School of Continuing Education Administrative Assistant II; Darlene Jensen, Fullerton College Director of Student Activities; Robert Jensen, Fullerton College Dean of Fine Arts; Charles Ketter, Fullerton College Dramatic Arts Instructor; Nancy Miller, Cypress College Instructional Assistant; and Tom Wallace, District Manager of IT Technical Support.
STUDENT TRUSTEES RECOGNITION – The two students serving on the Board of Trustees during 2014-15 also were recognized: Tiana Buttice of Cypress College and Stephen Tith of Fullerton College.
EMPLOYEE SERVICE RECOGNITION – Employees were recognized in the following four categories for years of service to the District:
25 Years of Service:
• Stephanie Acosta, Administrative Assistant III, Cypress College
• Kelly Carter, Counselor, Cypress College
• Carol Dumas, Office Coordinator, District
• Lillian Gabourie, Counselor, Cypress College
• Robert Grantham, Counselor, Cypress College
• Bruce Hanson, Philosophy Instructor, Fullerton College
• Carolyn Heath, Earth Sciences Instructor, Fullerton College
• Steve Jajo, Facilities Custodian II, SCE Cypress Center
• Susana Jianto, CIS Instructor, Cypress College
• Victor Jimenez, Facilities Custodian I, Cypress College
• Jerry Jurado, Testing & Assessment Specialist, SCE Cyp ress Center
• Patricia Kishel, Marketing Instructor, Cypress College
• Kathleen Llanos, ESL Instructor, Cypress College
• Agnes Martinez, Administrative Assistant II, Cypress College
• Vickie McPherson, Human Resources Specialist, District
• Diane Mendoza, Registrar, SCE Wilshire Center
• Mary Molina, Administrative Assistant II, Fullerton College
• Robert Morison, Manager, Instructional Technology Services, Fullerton College
• Kathleen Nauer, Art/Comp Graphics Instructor, Fullerton College
• Richard Oberlin, IT Project Leader, District
• Hanh Pham, Physical Science Lab Technician, Fullerton College
• Rhett Price, Physical Education Instructor, Fullerton College
• Malcolm Ridley , Network IT Specialist, District
• Gary Schneider, IT Technician, District
• Jose Siordia, Facilities Coord inator, Cypress College
• Emily Teipe, History Instructor, Fullerton College
• David Thomas, Construction Technician Instructor, Fullerton College
• Cheryl Toth, PE Athletic Equipment Coordinator, Fullerton College
• Pablo Trinidad, Equipment Operator, Cypress Col lege
• Jane Troop, Business Instructor, Fullerton College
• Marcus Wilson, Business Instructor, Fullerton College
• Jo Wen Wu, Biological Science Instructor, Fullerton College
• Eldon Young, Dean of Language Arts, Cypress College
30 Years of Service:
• Steven Banneck, Theater Technician, Cypress College
• Colleen Barger, Clerical Assistant II, Cypress College
• Brian Couron, Counselor, Fullerton College
• Marlene Courtney, Evaluator Specialist, Cypress College
• David Gibson, Facilities Custodian II, Cypress College
• Jay Goldstein, Distance Education Instructor, Fullerton College
• Edward Huber, Theater Production Coordinator, Fullerton College
• Darlene Jensen, Student Activities Director, Fullerton College
• Richard Kirkham , Speech Instructor, Fullerton College
• Velia Lawson, Counselor, Cypress College
• Zaida Lujan, Matriculation Counselor, SCE Cypress Center
• Barbara Marshall , English Instructor, Cypress College
• Scott McKenzie, Dean of Technology and Engineering, Fullerton College
• Tania McKeown, User Support Analyst, Fullerton Colle ge
• Kenneth McMeechan, Communications Electrician, Fullerton College
• Linda Millikan, Instructional Assistant, Fullerton College
• Marie Perez, Communications Instructor, Fullerton College
• Scott Pickler, Physical Education Instructor, Cypress College
• Christina Plett, Mathematics Instructor, Cypress College
• Dixie Stretch , Administrative Assistant I, Fullerton College
• John Tebay, Music Instructor, Fullerton College
• Scott Tucker, Athletic Therapist, Cypress College 35 Years of Service
• Barbara Bennett , DSPS Instructor, SCE Anaheim Campus
• Jane Boyce, Psychiatric Tech Instructor, Cypress College
• Deann Burch, Career Center Coordinator, Cypress College
• Mary Frances Giacalone, Bookstore Operations Specialist, Fullerton College
• Robert Jensen, Dean of Fine Arts, Fullerton College
• Jeffrey Jespersen, Physical Education Instructor, Fullerton College
• Rodney Lusch, Skilled Maintenance Mechanic, Cypress College
• Therese Mosqueda-Ponce, Counselor, Cypress College
• April Ramos, Bookstore Shipping & Receiving Specialist, Fullerton College
• Mike Sprague, Equipment Operator, Fullerton College
• Thomas Wallace, Manager of IT Technical Support, District 40 Years of Service
• Robert Byde, Psychology Instructor, Fullerton College
• Robert Grimes, Locksmith, Fullerton College
• Roy Hurtado, Equipment Operator, Cypress College
• Richard McKnight, CIS Instructor, Cypress College
• Virginia Sanchez, EOPS Counselor, Fullerton College
CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION – The Board presented a Certificate of Commendation to Becky Floyd, Cypress College Anthropology Instructor, on being named a 2016 Orange County Community Coll ege Teacher of the Year Nominee.
Comments from the College Presidents and Provost
Dr. Bob Simpson, Cypress College President; Dr. Greg Schulz, School of Continuing Education Provost; and Dr. Rajen Vurdien, Fullerton College President, reported on activities from their respective campuses.
Comments by Members of the Resource Table
GILBERT WEST HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA PROGRAM – SCE Senate President Adam Gottdank reported on the success of the SCE Gil bert West High School Diploma Program Lab, which opened in October 2014. This AB 86- supported program is graduating 19 students this year: seven of which will transition to Fullerton College, while eight will transition to Cypress College.
NEW CYPRESS COLLEGE ACADEMIC SENATE EXECUTIVE BOARD – Cypress College Academic Senate President Jolena Grande announced the winners of the recent Executive Board elections, including: President Elect Brian Seiling, Secretary Jane Walker, and Treasurer Michael Klyde. Mark Majarian will serve as Curriculum Chair.
UNITED FACULTY CONTRACT – New United Faculty President Tina Johansen announced that a negotiation agreement has been reached between NOCCCD and the group. The Board is expected to take action on the agreement at its June 9, 2015 meeting.
CSEA EVENTS – California School Employees Association President Rod Lusch reported on the group’s recent events, including the CSEA Breakfast.
ADJUNCT FACULTY RETIREMENT ISSUE – Adjunct Faculty Union President Sam Russo reminded the Board that this was his last meeting in that position. He also asked that the Board consider recognizing Adjunct Faculty in the retirement recognitions.
Comments by Members of the Board of Trustees
STUDENT TRUSTEE TRANSITIONS – Outgoing Cypress College Student Trustee Tiana Buttice thanked the Board for their support during her service, and announced that Tanya Washington will be next year’s appointee. Outgoing Fullerton College Student Trustee Stephen Tith stated that it was a privilege and an honor to serve the District. He told the Board of Trustees that they are appreciated.
FULLERTON COLLEGE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY – Trustee Jacqueline Rodarte said that she greatly enjoyed attending the Fullerton College Commencement Ceremony, and that she looked forward to going to the School of Continuing Education’s event as well.
COMMITTEE PARTICIPATION – Trustee Donna Miller reported on her attendance at the Orange County Legislative Task Force meeting, the CCLC Advisory Committee on Education meeting, and the CCLC Trustee Workshop.
CAMPUS EVENTS – Vice President Barbara Dunsheath reported on her attendance at several recent campus events, including: the CSEA Breakfast and the Cypress College Commencement Ceremony. Trustee Jeff Brown echoed her comments on the quality of the Cypress College Commencement Ceremony.
2013-14 NOCCCD ANNUAL REPORT – Secretary Molly McClanahan complimented District Director of Public and Governmental Affairs, Kai Stearns Moore, and her team on the publication of the 2013-14 North Orange County Community College District Annual Report.
CHANCELLOR SELECTION COMMITTEE – Trustee Leonard Lahtinen thanked the Chancellor Selection Committee for their diligence and hard work in forwarding applicants to the Board of Trustees. He said that he hoped the committee was not too disappointed that the Board had not selected one of their candidates.
DROUGHT LANDSCAPING – Board of Trustee President M. Tony Ontiveros urged the campuses to continue to investigate how to reduce their water use, especiall y in regards to landscaping, in the wake of California’s water shortage.
Finance & Facilities
PUBLIC HEARING – The Board authorized a public hearing at their June 9 meeting, to provide the public an opportunity to comment on the Americans with Disabilitie s Act (ADA) Transition Plan.
BUILDING STANDARDS – The Board adopted resolution no. 14/15- 12, Adopting Building Design Standards.
ANAHEIM CAMPUS PROJECTS – The Board authorized a bid for the central plant renovation and storm drain pump replacement project.
FEES – The Board adopted the list of Instructional Materials Fees provided by the District Coordinating Committee.
IEPI GOALS – The Board received as an information item the NOCCCD Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative (IEPI) Goals for 2015 -16
NEW REVENUE – Authorization was given to Fullerton College to accept new revenue from the CTE Enhancement Fund 40% Allocation Grant.
RETIREMENTS – The Board approved the retirement of Leonard Vincent , Fullerton College Biology instructor, effective May 24; Jose Castro, Fullerton College Custodian I, effective June 17; Mary Lou Ford, Cypress College Instructional Assistant, effective July 17; and Thomas Wallace , District Manager of IT Technical Support, e ffective August 4.
PROMOTION – The Board approved the promotion of Scott Giles to Fullerton College Athletic Director, effective May 27.
TENTATIVE AGREEMENT – The Board approved the tentative agreement between United Faculty CCA/CTA/NEA and the Distric t for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 fiscal years, inclusive of all terms and conditions specified in the written agreement.
Resolutions – The Board adopted resolutions for trustees’ absences. Next Regular Meeting The next regular meeting of the NOCCC D Board of Trustees will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday , June 9, in the first -floor Board Room, Anaheim Campus, 1830 W. Romneya Drive, Anaheim.
“News from the Board of Trustees” is produced by the NOCCCD Public Affairs Office
as a summary of Board actions and reports.
It is not intended as a replacement of the official minutes of Board meetings.