From the State Chancellor's web site www.cccco.edu
(If you use this link, you will exit the District web site)
Our system of two-year public institutions, composed of 108 colleges statewide organized into 72 districts, serves more than 2.9 million students and represents the largest system of higher education in the world.
The History of the North Orange County
Community College District
A 1913 department of post-graduate studies at Fullerton High School first established Fullerton Junior College and was the genesis of what is today the North Orange County Community College District. Created to relieve local residents of the inconvenience and costs of traveling long distances to attend college, the department provided the first two years of a traditional post-secondary education. In its first semester, the junior college enrolled 28 students. In 1915, the first class of five students graduated.
By 1922, the Board of Trustees of the high school had come to view the "junior college" courses as serving not only students who wanted to transfer to four-year institutions, but also those who could benefit from cultural or vocational training beyond that offered in high school. In the spring of that year, Fullerton Junior College was organized as a separate district college, although it continued to share with the Fullerton Union High School District a Board of Trustees and many administrators.
Past Administrators of Fullerton Union High School (FUHS) and Fullerton College (FC) include:
In 1934, the first increment of the present Fullerton College campus was acquired and a development plan was adopted. Much of the detailed Spanish-style construction was completed with federal funding as a means of providing Depression-era employment. In 1936, the college moved its classes from Fullerton High School into its new facilities across the street.
Past Presidents of Fullerton College include:
Current President: Dr. Rajen Vurdien 2010-present
The transition from Fullerton Junior College District to the North Orange County Community College District began with a long-range county study of junior college needs, which predicted a six-fold enrollment increase throughout the county by 1980. The report recommended developing seven new colleges to supplement the three existing junior colleges, and proposed that the existing Fullerton Junior College District be expanded to include three additional unified and high school districts.
In February, 1964, voters approved creation of an interim junior college district that would incorporate the Fullerton College District and form the North Orange County Community College District (NOCCCD). The interim district included areas that are now known as the Anaheim Union High School District; the Brea-Olinda Unified and the Placentia Unified School Districts. Later, a portion of the Garden Grove Unified School District was added to the NOCCCD's service area.
When the newly-formed district became operational on July 1, 1965, plans were already in place to build colleges in Cypress and Yorba Linda. The first Fullerton College District Board took advantage of an opportunity in 1964 to acquire 170 acres in the Yorba Linda area. That same year, a site selection committee appointed by the interim District Board recommended the purchase of land for a college in the western part of the District, where Cypress is located. Later, an additional 20 acres in Yorba Linda were purchased, expanding that site to 190 acres.
By the time the new District was formed, Fullerton College, which was designed to accommodate 7,000 students, was serving more than 9,000 and had added classes in early morning, late afternoon and Saturdays. The District grew rapidly, building its second college in Cypress to meet the increasing demand for community college courses during the 1960s.
In 1997, a needs analysis and master plan indicated that population growth would be insufficient to qualify for state funding of a third college in Yorba Linda, and the Board of Trustees put the majority of the land up for sale. In November, 1997, 173.05 acres of the land was sold for $16.5 million to a residential development company.
Past Chancellors of the North Orange County Community College District include:
Current Chancellor: Dr. Ned Doffoney 2008-Present
Cypress College welcomed its first students on September 12, 1966, just 74 days after the last parcel of its land had been acquired. The original campus of 18 temporary modular buildings served a student body of about 1500 and a faculty of 51. Later, the modular units were replaced by 11 permanent buildings, built around a second story piazza that connects the buildings, and a small pond, complete with ducks. The college has received several architectural design awards. The modular buildings remained at Cypress College and became the first of the District's Continuing Education Centers.
Past Presidents of Cypress College include:
Current President: Dr. Bob Simpson 2012-present
In response to the rapid growth of the adult education program, the continuing education center concept launched on the Cypress College campus was later expanded to include three other centers. In the fall of 1982, a four-building complex opened at the Yorba Linda site to provide adult education programs. A 320-seat theatre, the Yorba Linda Forum, is included in the facilities at the site. The District opened the Trident Center in Anaheim in March, 1982, and in January, 1984, opened the Wilshire Center in Fullerton after the purchase and remodeling of a landmark junior high school. In the summer of 1990, the Adult Education program in the Trident Center moved to a new building in Anaheim near the Orange (57) Freeway and Ball Road. The new Anaheim Adult and Continuing Education Center opened for classes in September, 1990, but, because of earthquake safety requirements, that building had to be vacated in July of 1993. Also in 1990, the District opened the Anaheim Higher Education Center as an extension of Fullerton College, to provide specialized training programs and contract instruction for business and industry. The Center was vacated in 1997 when many of the contract instruction programs were re-organized under Continuing Education. In 1998, Adult Continuing Education changed its official name to the School of Continuing Education. In 2002, the District opened the new Anaheim Campus and re-located the staff from the Yorba Linda Center to Anaheim. In 2003, the District began negotiations to sell the remaining land and facilities at the Yorba Linda site to the Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District, which plans to build a high school on the property. A joint use agreement that will allow the District to continue offering classes at the Yorba Linda site in the evening is being developed.
Past Provosts of Adult Continuing Education include:
Current Provost: Dr. Greg Schulz 2012-present
In May, 2001, the District acquired the former Martin Luther Hospital building and converted it to an educational site called the Anaheim Campus. The new campus was officially dedicated November 22, 2002 and classes from Cypress College, Fullerton College, and the School of Continuing Education began in January 2003. The District office in Fullerton has relocated to the Anaheim Campus, along with the administrative offices for the School of Continuing Education from the Yorba Linda Continuing Education Center and the District's Special Services Department and Warehouse at the La Habra Service Center.
The former District Education Center will become part of the Fullerton College campus and will be re-modeled to provide new classroom and office space.